Thursday, March 11, 2010

Stress Fracture.....

As some of you might know, I am addicted to running. I has been my Prozac for the last few years. Unfortunately, as hard as I have tried to avoid it, injuries sometimes happen. A couple of weeks ago I started having some pain in my lower right leg, and even though I knew better, I continued to run on it. The pain was fairly moderate at first, but then I ran 18 miles. A few hours after the pain had gotten worse to the point that I could only put a little weight on that leg. I decided to take a break from running for about 10 days and then assumed I would resume training for my marathon on April 17th. So last Monday I suited up and headed out, ran about 10 steps and had to stop because of the pain. I finally made an appointment with a sport's medicine physician, thinking he would tell me to cowboy up, there is nothing wrong. Well... I was wrong. After a couple of x-rays the doctor pointed out 2 small black lines, which happen to be stress fractures. So I guess my running has to be put on hold for the next 6-8 weeks, and the Salt Lake marathon will have to wait until next year. As frustrating as it is, it just makes me realize that I may need to take it a bit slower, and lose these last 20 pounds that have been hanging on the past year or so. Luckily I have a few smaller races planned that will keep me occupied until I can train for a marathon again.

On the bright side, Clark has started running on our treadmill and is doing awesome! He is already starting to understand my running addiction!

1 comment:

The Heaton's said...

So sorry to hear that! Hope you have a speedy recovery!